Friday, February 6, 2015 ~ Card-Making for Kids, St. Joseph School, Bronxville, NY
DIY Valentine Storage Boxes
Welcome back crafters!
Today was our Valentine’s Day workshop and WOW! What creative energy! The students used up every morsel of class time to decorate their storage boxes with beautiful heart embellishments, truly making them their own…
To prepare for class, I purchased these simple white photo storage boxes that I pre-covered for the students with a gorgeous pink and glitter vellum I knew they would love. (They did!)
Plain boxes are terrific for DIY projects, and especially fun for children to embellish for Valentine’s Day. They’re just right for kids to store their favorite things in, like their Card-Making for Kids projects! One student even said she’d bring her class valentines in it…
While I often create an exclusive design for the students to use as a crafty guide, today’s project was all in their hands, literally! The girls used a fantastic combination of assorted punch cut heart shapes from shimmery glitter paper & vellum, and added gem stones, a beautiful felt scroll and gel pen accents. They layered the varying sizes and shapes to create their own delightful patterns, and customized tags with their names for their tag frame.
Here’s how I pre-covered the boxes.
Vellum is thin and transparent, so it’s tricky to adhere without glue showing through and the paper wrinkling up. I’ve heard some folks use spray adhesive, but a roll of strip adhesive works great too:
- Trace and trim your vellum to fit & cover the box top. Place vellum aside.
- Place adhesive strip on only one top edge of your box, but do not peel yet.
- Center your vellum into place and hold in place with hand.
- Lift up the vellum that lays over the adhesive strip and gently peel off the backing.
- Allow the vellum to fall back onto the strip & secure in place.
- Now flip the adhered vellum back over itself. Add adhesive strips to the remaining 3 edges. Peel the backing from all three and smooth vellum down gently over the adhesive in one motion from one edge to the other.
Take a peek at our workshop fun:
I hope you give this DIY craft a try with your kids. Thanks so much for stopping by!
Until next time, keep crafting!
Supplies used: White photo storage boxes (A.C.Moore), Paper: American Crafts glitter paper, EK Success pink glitter vellum, Stampin’ Up! Pretty-in-Pink cardstock; heart craft punches by Fiskars, Martha Stewart, Marvy, Stampin’ Up!; Queen & Co. Felt Fusion self-stick pink scroll border; Offray pink mini bows; Adhesive: American Crafts permanent clear craft tape; self-stick gems; glitter gel pens